Sunday, January 24, 2016

Meetings, meetings, meetings

Yeah the title basically sums up the week. Just a bunch of meetings.
And I'm gonna start with a funny story about the zone training meeting
we had on Friday! we had a zone meeting and it's usually at our church
but they changed it to the other building in our zone. Why? I don't
know. But we got an email about that on Monday or Tuesday and I told
the other elders in the district so I definitely knew. But then Friday
comes around and I still decide to go to our building and see no ones
there. At first I
thought I was early so I was like sweet! Then it hit me that the
meeting was at the building that's about 45 minutes away...I realized
that at 1:20 and the meeting started at 1:30. And there was an
assistant to the president there. So that was awkward...but that
basically sums up the kind of district leader I am 😂

So because of the meetings we weren't able to do too much because
Tuesday was district meeting, Thursday was an all day meeting with two
guys from the missionary department and they're basically trying to
get us ready for Facebook...which will be pretty interesting. But the
church trusts us I guess! But we were still able to get a good amount
of lessons. We met with Joaquin and talked about his priesthood duties
and what he's able to do right now and we invited him to bless the
sacrament which he was able to do and it was a really awesome
experience for him. And then we also had a meeting with Angel who is
now getting baptized on the 28th instead of the 29th and guess who's
baptizing him...JOAQUIN!!!! It's super cool because they've gotten
close and have helped each other grow. It's been cool to see. Then he
bore a super strong and spiritual testimony with Angel and it was
awesome. But we still have so much we need to do with Angel so we have
4 lessons set up with him this week. It may seem like a lot but I
really want him to feel ready and have a real firm understanding as
well as a testimony of all we teach. Which brings me to my next point:
What is a real testimony?

Alma 4:19 says: "And this he did that he himself might go forth among
his people, or among the people of Nephi, that he might preach the
word of God unto them, to stir them up in remembrance of their duty,
and that he might pull down, by the word of God, all the pride and
craftiness and all the contentions which were among his people, seeing
no way that he might reclaim them save it were in bearing down in pure
testimony against them." And to me It's interesting how he wants to
change the people he's getting ready to teach so much and just by
using his testimony. What I get out of it is that in order to really
help someone, we need to help ourselves first by doing what we need to
have a real firm foundation. In other words, we need to really read
and ponder on what we read, pray about it, find out for ourselves if
it's true and by the power of the Holy Ghost according to our faith,
we will receive an answer. Someone also asked me what makes a powerful
missionary recently and it really made me think. So here are my
thoughts: A powerful missionary is one who can teach with power. But
how do we teach with power? With the Holy Ghost. How do we teach with
the Holy Ghost? We qualify ourselves to obtain the spirit? How do we
do that exactly? Yeah the easy answer would be obedience, scripture
study and all that good stuff. The primary answers. But there's more
to it. When I think of what we have to do to obtain the spirit I think
immediately to the sacrament prayers. There's 3 things we always
commit to doing which is: 1) Take Christ's name upon us, 2) Remember
Him always and 3) Keep his commandments. 3 simple things. Then He does
something incredible for us that no one else can. He promises that as
we stay faithful to those commitments, he will bless us with His
spirit. And it's so hard to do this work without the spirit. We can't
read minds but we can DISCERN. And as we discern we can find out what
someone needs specifically in their lives. That's why we need the
spirit in all that we do as missionaries.

So that about does it for this week! Oh and in other news, the snow has come!!

1) Elder Parkinson and I went out to lunch before district meeting and
we walked past an episode of law and order being filmed! We weren't in
it but still pretty cool
2) The snow!! It' way better through pictures...it's too cold
3) The video speaks for itself...






No comments:

Post a Comment