Wednesday, May 20, 2015

A las seis en español, 8:00 in English

 So this past week was pretty slow again. We are doing some
service for this investigator Emilio and we went to his house to help
clean his backyard twice this week. We basically took down some bushes
and are moving some stuff out so he can sell it. But, the dust mixed
with the Poland made it nearly impossible to do much. I was sneezing
up a storm and I'm pretty sure Emilio thought I was dying but I made
it through it. And then he took us out to lunch to this place called
Los Andes and I'm pretty sure we went there 3 times this week...but
their food is really good and we didn't have to pay so I'm perfectly
okay with that. Plus they give you a ton to eat. Which obviously I
need. I'm pretty sure part of the reason why Heavenly Father called me
to go Spanish speaking was because he knew how much I would get fed
haha. And I've definitely been eating more and more since I've been
out here. For example, Saturday we got fed by our mama negra and she
brought a huge dish of chicken, potato salad, platano and then two
dishes for pork and I was just like "challenge accepted" there were
about 10 missionaries there eating and I definitely had the most to
eat. Was it a good idea? Probably not. Did I feel good afterwards? Eh
not really. But was it delicious? You'd better believe it! I've also
come to realize what Hispanic time really means. Friday night there
was a Mother's Day party that was supposed to start at 8 and I was
freaking out because we were at an investigator's home until 7:30
helping him with making arroz chaufa which is basically just fried
rice which any kind of meat mixed in and I thought we were super late.
But we called the missionaries who were there and they said nothing is
even set up yet so I was like are they just standing around then? But
it turned out that there weren't even that many people there yet...but
everything worked out in the end! And I got a lot of food that night
too :D
        As for lessons, we met with an investigator named Christina
and this was the first time I taught her since the first time my
companion did, we were on splits. We taught her about the gospel of
Jesus Christ and it went really well. She understood everything and
was able to apply it to her own life which was super cool. We'll be
going back to see her again this Wednesday to set up a time to teach
her family at her house because right now we teach at a barbershop
where she works. Then that night was soccer again and we had a good
amount of people including this family who we are trying to get
interested in the church but it's just not there yet. But we are
getting pretty close with them. The sons like basketball and soccer
which works out perfectly since I love basketball and my companion
loves soccer. So before we played soccer we went in the gym and played
basketball and one thing for sure is that Heavenly Father didn't let
those talents go to waste ;) I went against the older son and he
definitely plays soccer more than basketball. But I was wanting to try
and help him but I didn't know how to explain it in Spanish...but I'm
going to try this week! Then Thursday we got a call from a new convert
who's baby had a fever and she wanted us to go give her baby a
blessing so we head to her house and blessed the baby with health and
then shared a brief message with them about service. Then that night
ended awesomely. We went back to that house where we had the stakeout
to see if that Toyota was there that we knew he drives and it was! It
finally was! So we went in, got to know them and hopefully we'll be
able to meet with them again because they're super cool. Then
yesterday at church my companion and I started talking with the gospel
principles teacher about missions and how great they are for the rest
of our lives and that was pretty cool. He's a really nice guy and he
speaks very clearly so I understand most of it. Then after that chat
he asked me where I'm from and I was just like ¿Dónde piensa? Meaning
where do you think? And he guessed Peru, Guatemala, Columbia, Mexico
and some other places so I was like dang it...I thought he'd be the
first one to get it right! So I just explained that my father is
Filipino and my mom is white but lots of people think I'm Hispanic so
it's okay. So to this day there isn't one Hispanic who's guessed I'm
not one of them xD
      I didn't really do anything too crazy to get pictures of but I
did go to the beach a couple weeks ago to do a beach clean up (for a
really clean beach) and my companion and I were messing around by the
water and someone got a picture of that so here ya go! Hope everything
is all good with everyone back home. Talk to you next week! ¡Ciaocito!

Elder Rossi









No comments:

Post a Comment